Monday, December 13, 2010

Yes....Dream...think.

I know this may sound like a rhetorical question, but go ahead and answer it anyways: Do You Know How To Think? It’s one of those questions that makes you, well… “Think!”

Recently, I was sitting down with this really sharp, young, male, ministry leader that I have had the privilege of mentoring and coaching for a season.   As we were talking he posed this question:  ”Pastor Angel, will you teach me how to think?”   I had to pause for a minute and before I answered I asked him to explain.
To paraphrase, his response was this: “I’m a feeler and I tend to either make decisions, not make decisions or have my overall actions affected by my feelings.  If I feel good, If I don’t believe I can do something, If I’m fired up about something, If I’m fearful of something… I respond to those situations based on how I feel rather than what I think.”  What I think he was saying is that he wanted some concrete action steps for what he thinks, without them being manipulated by his feelings.

My motto is this: dream BIG. think BIGGER. Thinking is the next step after dreaming and is the action of making your dreams a reality.

Do You Know How To Think? In other-words, Do you know how to take your conceived thoughts and make them a practical reality?   Here are a few quick thoughts on how to operate from a thinking mindset and how to make those thoughts a reality:
  • Give your thoughts some action steps.
  • Give your thoughts some time-lines.
  • Take the time to process your thoughts and minimize your feelings.
  • Recognize that your thoughts can control your feelings “think BIGGER.”
  • Remember you are what you think you are.
French Philosopher Rene Descartes is known for “Cogito ergo sum” or “I think, therefore I am.”  I would modify his thoughts to say this “Because God thinks I am, I am.”  Let your thinking trump your feelings, learn how to think and continually refine the way you think.  dream BIG. think BIGGER.
Do You Know How To Think?

3 comments:

  1. Hey readers and blog partners: Angel knows and understands the importance of the relationship between identity, thought processes, and purpose. If you do not agree with this blog, just dust off your bible, and do a little research and see what the Word of God sais about thinking: “For as he thinks in his heart, so is he” Proverbs 23:7.
    I would also like to add to Angel’s blog some “tips” about thoughts and actions (THE SEVEN “P’s”): Prior, Proper, Planning, Prevents, Poor, Pissed, Performance…

    ReplyDelete